Sunday, February 10, 2013

Eating Big in Boca: Maoz Restaurant Review

Eating out is scary business.

Ok, maybe just for me and others with food allergies...or serious public anxiety.  Anyhow, I do digress...

Eating out became a necessity when we moved to Boca.  For awhile I had no kitchen...'cause I had no house.  Just a hotel room with a coffee maker.  Can't even cook soup with that thing.  So what does a transplanted lady with a food allergy do?  Consult Lord Google, of course!



I came across one called Maoz.  It appealed to me because it also claimed to be vegetarian.  We are a quasi-vegetarian family.  Don't ask me how that works, it just does.  Most of the time.  Plus, Maoz is famous for Falafel.

 I'm a sucker for Falafel.

©Maoz Vegetarian


This place is not fancy.  It is not sit-down.  In fact, the one I visited was located in a mall food court.  It was crazy busy...which led me to believe it would be good.

{cliff hanger}

It was.

...Good, that is.

Actually quite good.  I would recommend it.

Hey, I guess, I just did.

The place was bright, eye catching and just looked....fresh.
Every item was clearly marked whether they were gluten free or not.  You could choose your own fixings (Virginia word?) to go either in your pita or on your salad.  I, of course had the salad since pitas are not usually safe for me.  At the end of the line you can add your own Tahini or Chili sauce (also gluten free). The Falafel was really yummy and well seasoned.  Crispy on the outside, doughy Garbonzo-beany goodness on the inside and not too greasy.  This was definitely a step above typical food court fare!

As an allergy sufferer, I was a little nervous when they used the same tongs to pick up my "fixings" as they did to stuff other food into pitas.  I would suggest to them that they have separate "Gluten free" tongs on hand.  I almost requested clean tongs... I suppose I was feeling dangerous (ok, more likely shy) that day because I didn't say a word.  Even so, I did not get sick!  Yay Maoz!

XO, Ami

Want to go?

It's located in the Boca Town Center
Address: 6000 Glades Rd, Boca Raton, FL 33431
Phone:(561) 393-6269
Hours:

Monday11:00 am – 9:00 pm
Tuesday11:00 am – 9:00 pm
Wednesday11:00 am – 9:00 pm
Thursday11:00 am – 9:00 pm
Friday11:00 am – 9:00 pm
Saturday11:00 am – 9:00 pm
Sunday11:30 am – 6:00 pm

Maoz Vegetarian on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

  1. Hi ,

    Your first post just appeared on Urbanspoon! Check it out:
    http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/12/1430266/restaurant/Miami/Maoz-Vegetarian-Boca-Raton

    I encourage you to claim your blog, which allows you to add a picture and change some settings. The blog photo shows up next to your posts wherever they appear on Urbanspoon. Here's how to claim:

    - Make sure you're logged into Urbanspoon

    - Go to your blog page on our site: http://www.urbanspoon.com/br/12/10266/Miami/Big-In-Boca.html

    - Click "Claim your blog" in the left sidebar

    After you submit it, we may contact you to verify your claim. Check your spam email folder if your claim hasn't gone through in a day or two. You'll also find some interesting badges and widgets on your Urbanspoon blog page - look in the right sidebar.

    If you have any questions, please contact me via email.

    Thanks,
    Greg

    www.urbanspoon.com

    --
    greg(at)urbanspoon(dot)com

    ReplyDelete