Thursday, February 21, 2013

Adjusting My Sails

Beach Palm Sailboat by Gregory Allen Page


Jimmy Dean once said (Why yes, I am talking about the sausage guy):

"I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination."

So, mentally, this is where I'm situated.

The move to Boca has been a culture shock, indeed, but those things I see as so different from the Virginia mountains are not likely to change any time soon.  They are part of what makes Boca...well, Boca.  Good or bad, take it or leave it.

It's time to focus on the favorable and see how I will carve out my spot in this curious town.  The eternal goal being to always to make a place a little better than how I found it...and to improve myself along the way.

I chose the quote above, not only because it is snazzy and reminds me of breakfast, but because it mentions wind. Yep! This is honest-to-goodness one of the first things I fell in love with down here.  Seriously...I am not merely being trite...this is some luscious breeze.  I realize how ridiculous this must sound, but here in Boca, the air feels more... substantial.  Normal wind seems thin in comparison.  Oh and the way it blows warm and cool all at the same time -no clue how that works I am just giddy that it does.  I could stand outside and let it swirl around me for hours.  When I am driving about, windows down, sunroof open, I look at all the people closed up in their cars and feel sympathy for them.  They have this luxurious natural commodity and they aren't even appreciating it.

So yes...you did just read a blog post about wind.

Or did you?  Hmmmmm...

I am setting my sails. Charting my course. Hoping for a gust in the right direction.  Determined to make a home...with windows open!



...well, at least until hurricane season.




XO, Ami

6 comments:

  1. I love this post - I always look forward to all that you write!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Janice! That is so sweet of you!

      Delete
  2. I can just see all the windows up, tinted windows passing you by and there you are, smiling from ear to ear, hair blowing, loving that breeze as you drive with the sun beaming down on your pretty hair thru the sunroof! That's livin, the others are merely existing!!! xxoo donna

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you find the positive in everything you do. I also lve your writing

    ReplyDelete